Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Single moms . . . not all created equal

Casey Anthony: Single Mom of the Year!

While I admire the outspoken manner with which Ann Coulter has written this editorial about Casey Anthony and single mothers, I can tell that it is clearly not written by an individual that has been faced with financial struggles and raising children.  I have read up a little bit on biographical information about Ann Coulter and can see that she is intelligent and highly respected by many.  However, I feel that even though you may be well-educated and knowledgable about many things, you may not be as informed when you haven't been part of something on a personal level.  The intended audience of this article is most likely those following her already, or her fans.  This editorial is arguing that single moms cost the U. S. taxpayers $112 billion each year, that 80% of homeless families are single mothers, among other things.  I would like to point out that not every single mom is only searching for a way to go clubbing and act irresponsibly, and not all single moms are of the 'underclass' group.  To categorize the good single moms with the other 85% of (single) mothers who kill their children through neglect is ignorant.  Not all single mothers received their title from being promiscuous and careless, some were forced into this role by other circumstances beyond their control.  There probably are large amounts of single mothers in the poverty class.  Although not in all cases or industries, women do not have as high of salaries as men.  If they are not receiving any type of child support from the child's father, then inevitably they will end up being at poverty level.  However, lower income is not an absolute characteristic of an incompetent single mother.

When I speak of single moms in this post, I will specify whether I'm referring to those that are the 'menace to society' producing single mothers or the single mothers that do not harm, neglect, or murder their own children or raise criminals.  There are several meanings of the word mother, but a couple stand out to me on Merriam-Webster's website. One says "maternal tenderness or affection" and another says, "to care for or protect like a mother".  Other infamous murderous moms and the alleged-but-acquitted, in my opinion, should not be permitted to call themselves mother when it comes to these definitions.

Now to clarify why I feel so strongly about this editorial about single moms (in general) being a huge responsibility for everyone, I am an individual that was nurtured by a single mother.  My father wasn't around from a fairly young age.  My parents divorced when I was four years old.  When they were married, my father worked nights while my mom worked days and I went to daycare during the day.  Needless to say, I don't recall my father being in my life until I was significantly older.  I wasn't aware when I was a child, but we struggled horribly for my entire childhood.  I've thanked my mother so many times for allowing me to be a child and not feel the stress she did with lack of funds, no medical insurance, not paying taxes in order to eat and list goes on.  I never went hungry, always had medical care when I needed it, and always had clothes and warm bed to sleep in even if she went without.  I can never thank her enough for what she has done for me in my 35 years of life.  This is why I don't agree with most of the statements in this editorial about single moms in general.  We only hear about the outrageous and sickening single moms in the media.  We end up hearing a shocking story about a delinquent who was brought up by a single mother, so that must be what led them to commit crimes.

On the other hand, I do agree with several of her statements.   Let's start with the one about how any victims of crime in Orlando, FL between July and December of 2008 should be upset that police couldn't prevent or investigate their crimes since they were too busy looking for a missing child whose mother already knew she was dead.  The statistics are so jaw-dropping that not giving up an illegitimate child for adoption ought to be considered child abuse is another one I can partially agree with since the normal, non-abused, not neglected, law-abiding, functioning successfully as an adult kind of people are not really part of any statistical studies it looks like.   It's mindboggling to me, the claims made in this remarkably opinionated writing about how single mothers are directly connected to such negativity and inconvenience, especially not knowing what hardships the good and decent ones are dealt daily.

Editorial:  "Casey Anthony: Single mom of the year!"
By:  Ann Coulter
Published: 7/7/11
http://www.texasinsider.org/?p=49332

No comments:

Post a Comment